Tutorial: Spack 101¶
This is a 3-hour introduction to Spack with lectures and live demos. It was presented as a tutorial at Supercomputing 2016. You can use these materials to teach a course on Spack at your own site, or you can just skip ahead and read the live demo scripts to see how Spack is used in practice.
Full citation: Todd Gamblin, Massimiliano Culpo, Gregory Becker, Matt Legendre, Greg Lee, Elizabeth Fischer, and Benedikt Hegner. Managing HPC Software Complexity with Spack. Tutorial presented at Supercomputing 2016. November 13, 2016, Salt Lake City, UT, USA.
These scripts will take you step-by-step through basic Spack tasks. They correspond to sections in the slides above.
- Basic Installation Tutorial
- Package Creation Tutorial
- Module Configuration Tutorial
- Filter unwanted modifications to the environment
- Prevent some module files from being generated
- Change module file naming
- Add custom environment modifications
- Autoload dependencies
- Lua hierarchical module files